|ABHA DOCUMENT ON CONTROL OF OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY IN SAUDI ARABIA
|Year : 2016 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 88-92
Abha Document on Control of Overweight and Obesity in Saudi Arabia
Tawfiq Khoja, Waleed Abu Melha, Yahia AlKhaldi, Mohammed Mirza, Mohammed Bawahab, Adnan Mufti, Mohammed AlNaami, Fahad AlShehri, Ahmad AlMofareh, Abdullah AlOtaibi, Mona AlMusheet
Saudi Arabian Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (SASMBS)
|Date of Web Publication||13-Jan-2017|
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Khoja T, Melha WA, AlKhaldi Y, Mirza M, Bawahab M, Mufti A, AlNaami M, AlShehri F, AlMofareh A, AlOtaibi A, AlMusheet M. Abha Document on Control of Overweight and Obesity in Saudi Arabia. Saudi J Obesity 2016;4:88-92
|How to cite this URL:|
Khoja T, Melha WA, AlKhaldi Y, Mirza M, Bawahab M, Mufti A, AlNaami M, AlShehri F, AlMofareh A, AlOtaibi A, AlMusheet M. Abha Document on Control of Overweight and Obesity in Saudi Arabia. Saudi J Obesity [serial online] 2016 [cited 2021 Dec 2];4:88-92. Available from: https://www.saudijobesity.com/text.asp?2016/4/2/88/197706
| Introduction|| |
In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent. The Second International Medical Conference on Medicine and Surgery of Obesity was held in the city of Abha, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the period of 6–8 Muharram, 1438 H/7–9 October, 2016, which was organized in Abha city by the Saudi Society of Obesity Medicine and Surgery.
The Armed Forces Hospitals in the South and King Khalid University. The conference was held under the sponsorship of HRH Prince Faisal Bin Khalid Bin Abdul-Aziz.
All participants in the conference of international, regional, Gulf and national speakers expressed their gratitude and thanks to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman Bin Abdul-Aziz Al- Saud and his wise government for holding this conference.
They also highly appreciated the outstanding role of the kingdom in preparation and organization of this international conference to promote the leading role of the Kingdom in developing and strengthening health systems at the global level.
Based on this, the participants came up with The Abha Document for Control of Overweight and Obesity
[Additional file 1]
- Expression of thanks and gratitude to HRH Prince Faisal Bin Khalid Bin Abdul-Aziz, Prince of Aseer Region, the Honorary Chairman of the Society for the great support and the unlimited care in organization and sponsorship of this conference
- Positioning the counteract of overweight and obesity problem at the top priorities of health and social issues and the national health system priorities & provision of political support, workforce and material support necessary for control, prevention and treatment activities; utilizing the local, regional and international initiatives of obesity control
- Setting and applying necessary policies, systems, plans and programs for reduction of the growth of the problem & working towards reduction of the incidence and prevalence rates among various categories of the community, males and females, and in particular the children and youth age category
- Emphasis on the principle that control of obesity is a joint national issue, where responsibility lies on all governmental and non-governmental institutions, the private sector, civil society and the educational sector; within the partnership in change taking into consideration implementation of the national sustainable development goals for 2030 and improving the performance indicators
- Explore the possibility of establishment of nationa (council, authority, committee) affiliated to the Council of Economic and Development Affairs as a reference entity to which is assigned the tasks of planning, supervision, coordination and monitoring. This is to assure integration of all policies, systems, programs and research as an institutional work with a scientific methodology committed to national plans with indicators to measure progress achieved at the national level as well as evaluation of the performance of authorities concerned with control of obesity
- Setting policies and enacting regulations and legislations to support frameworks of health promotion in general and local and imported fast food in the community and at the school canteens in particular; to reduce the amount of salt and sugar & to eliminate trans- and hydrogenated fats according to the endorsed WHO standards and the executive Gulf plan 2014-2025 in this field
- Conduction and implementation of community and health system research for epidemiology of obesity and surveillance of risk factors, burden and cost of disease periodically. This is to efficiently contribute in setting required policies and programs based on national evidences and to set directions and initiatives which promote healthy life style policies; and deal effectively with obesity risk factors especially in children, youth and women
- Work towards promotion of policies and procedures which enable community individuals and obesity patients in health care fields provided under the theme (Health of the Citizen First) in an integrated form with working health and social system frames and the national strategic plans to improve health of the citizens, and to put into function effective tools and mobilize all efforts to achieve this theme in various community, educational, religious and economic fields as well as promotion of physical activity with emphasis on the role of protection of the health of the individual, family and community
- Emphasis on the importance of giving effect to coordination and cooperation with the civil society organizations and finding national initiatives and preventive programs on the part of the scientific societies and authorities supported from related governmental institutions (ministries of health, social affairs, education, etc.) and contribution in implementation of national strategies aiming at reduction of obesity risk factors, health promotion and community care
- The Shoura Council shall undertake the following:
- Setting effective regulation instruments and defining the roles and responsibilities of governmental authorities and emphasizing the inter-sectoral integration and coordination which commit the concerned authorities to implement the necessary procedures and conditions to control obesity and reduce burden of disease
- Work towards giving effect to programs of the national vision 2030 and monitoring its performance especially as related to improvement of the quality of health services, both preventive and curative
- The private sector, large companies and civil society establishments should undertake a larger role through constructive social responsibility programs.
- Emphasis on conduction of obesity surgical operations in accredited medical centers as per the national standards set by the Saudi Society for Obesity Medicine and Surgery
- Requesting the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties to introduce the fine specialty of obesity surgery
- Emphasis on the importance that all medical centers and their medical officers in the field of obesity surgery should comply with national clinical guidelines adopted by the Saudi Society for Obesity Medicine and Surgery as well as the instructions of the Ministry of Health
- Inclusion of the management of overweight and obesity as well as related prevention programs and drug and surgical interventions within the package of basic health insurance according to the evidence-based standard national guidelines
- Committing all surgeons working in the field of obesity surgery to take part in the national registry database for obesity surgeries and linking this to renewal of professional license.